Tuesday 7 January 2014

First Post on my journey into Sustainability....

Hey,

To all of you reading this, I guess I better introduce myself as your humble narrator. I'm Nick, and I currently work at the University of Nottingham, UK in the Faculty of Engineering. I joined the Massively Open Online Course for Sustainability Society and You with an idea of how to better my understanding in my role on the Sustainability of both myself and the University and I'm hoping this will generate ideas on how I can use sustainability to both lower my energy consumption and to generate funding proposals with our experts.

So what is "Sustainability"? - Well I've heard the term bandied about over the last few years especially but I'd never stopped and thought about what it means to me. For me, I'd guess that...sustainability is being able to use renewable energy in such a way that we can complete our daily tasks without draining the planet's resources.

Realising what this course aims to get us thinking about - all of a sudden I'm noticing how much energy I'm using just by sitting at my desk...writing this on a PC, with a landline phone next to me, my mobile next to that, with a laptop charging to my left and it's WiFi dongle boxed up in front of that, with the lights on above my head.....

Ahem.

As the host of a well known (but not entirely sustainable!) TV programme says.. "On that bombshell, it's time to end."

I'll jot down some more mind ramblings soon!

Cheers!

N

No comments:

Post a Comment